Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday Thirteens! # 4

Thirteen Things about Sidney Sheldon

OMG!I never realized today is thursday.I cant accept the pace at which each day passes.Thanks brenda nd for reminding me that its time for TT.Since i hadn't thought of anything and since i cant think of anything soon,i thught i'l write about Sydney Sheldon.The first novel which i finished in a day in my life was "Windmills Of God" when i was 16.That still remains my favourite thriller.Though I like Shelden's works, he is not my favourite auther.We kind of get used to his novels after 3-4 of them.But i feel noone can create susoense as he does.

1)Sheldon was born Sidney Schechtel in
Chicago, Illinois, to parents of Russian Jewish ancestry
2)At 10, he made his first sale, $10 for a poem.
3The Naked Face is his first novel.
4)Sheldon contemplated suicide as a teenager, was forced out of college by the Depression.
5)It was estimated that as many as 300 million copies of his 18 novels are in print, in a total of 51 languages
6)He was in the Army Air Forces service in World War II.
7)Several of his novels became television miniseries, often with the Sheldon severing as producer.
8))Once, fire threatened his California home. Told to snatch his most prized possessions and prepare to flee, he spurned everything but pens and paper.
9)His novels are more appreciated for their reader appeal and hard work than than their literary merit.
10)Mr. Sheldon turned to fiction only in his 50s, after having an idea for a thriller he felt was too psychologically nuanced for film, TV or the stage.
11) He was married for more than 30 years to Jorja Curtright Sheldon, a stage and film actress. After her death in 1985 he married
Alexandra Sheldon, a former child actress ana their daughter Mary Sheldon Dastin is an author too.
12)He said in interviews "I like to write about women, who are talented and capable, but most important, retain their femininity. Women have tremendous power, their femininity, because men can't do without it.""I like to write about women, who are talented and capable, but most important, retain their femininity. Women have tremendous power, their femininity, because men can't do without it."
"If I write about a place, I have been there. If I write about a meal in Indonesia, I have eaten there in that restaurant. I don't think you can fool the reader."
13)After a career that had earned him a Tony, an Oscar and an Emmy,Sheldon died January 30, 2007 of complications from pneumonia at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!




2 comments:

Eternal Sunshine said...

Good list - Very intesting. I haven't read a lot of Sheldon, but one of my all time favorite books is "The Stars Shine Down" (I think that's right.

Toni said...

I love to read and I am trying to think if I have ever read any of his books. You have definately inspired me to pick one up.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Toni